Built in 1825, Normanby Hall Country Park is a Regency mansion designed by Robert Smirke, and is owned by the Sheffield Family, former Dukes of Buckingham, and the original owners of Buckingham Palace.
During the 19th and 20th centuries the Sheffield family resided at Normanby for five months of the year, spending the winter season here pheasant shooting, and entertaining guests over Christmas and the New Year. In the spring, the family would move to London with some of their servants for the ‘coming out season’ and then return to Normanby for a week in June/July en route to their shooting lodge in Scotland where the family would spend the summer.
Wherever the family were residing, hampers of fruit and vegetables from the walled garden at Normanby were sent to them, and in return, hampers of laundry were sent back to Normanby for washing.
During the First World War the family remained in the house helping to care for the convalescing soldiers. The story of how the Hall was used as an auxiliary hospital during the First World War is told in the ‘Normanby at War’ exhibition on the first floor of the Hall.
In 1964 the Sheffield family leased the house and grounds to what was then Scunthorpe Borough Council on a 99 year lease. Since then, the rooms that are open to the public have been furnished in the late Regency style using inventories of the house from 1829 to 1840 as a guide.
The Hall is open daily from 1pm until 5pm throughout the summer season. Last admission to the Hall is 4.30pm.