Stable Yard

Displays in the Coach House include the Normanby Park Fire Engine, once operated by the Normanby Park Fire Brigade.

Café open today

The Stable Yard

After the Victorian Walled Garden was built in 1817, Sir Robert Sheffield employed the architect Robert Smirke to design the Stable Yard. By the 1920s, only the west range was in use as a stable. With the introduction of motor cars early in the 1900s, the carriage house on the north side of the courtyard was adapted to house up to six motor vehicles.

On display in the Stables are the Horse and Rider sculptures by the artist Harold Gosney. The pieces were made in 2011 and kindly donated by the artist in 2015.

The Coach House was used to house the family’s carriages. Amongst other objects, the Coach House now houses a miniature farm wagon, made for the Sheffield children by the Normanby village’s wheelwright.

Here visitors will find a collection of firefighting equipment. One of the fire engines, a 1900s horse drawn steamer, was bought by Sir Berkeley Sheffield in order to set up the Normanby Park Fire Brigade in around 1915.

Stable Yard Café

The café is open daily and serves a range of tempting treats, delicious hot and cold food and speciality drinks.

Browse the specials board for a choice of seasonal homemade food, using produce from the walled garden when available. Our team will be happy to help with any dietary requirements. To avoid disappointment, hot food must be ordered half an hour before the café closes.